Wednesday, July 31, 2019

Coffee and community

Yesterday I listened to "Katja's Decaf Herbal Coffee Replacement", a recent episode of Commonwealth Center for Holistic Herbalism podcast. When I listen to their weekly podcast I feel as if I am engaged in an interactive conversation. The content interests me, I learn new information, ideas, and resources, and I laugh along with the hosts as a response to their friendly and inclusive style.
The Herbal Coffee Replacement episode stimulated my curiosity about coffee processing. I tend to not drink coffee, unless I am using the caffeine as a method of soothing and managing migraine pain. I miss the robust flavor and subtle bite of strong, well-made coffee. So, when Ryn introduced Swiss Water processing to create decaf coffee, my ears perked. I did some follow-up research this morning to learn more.
I visited the Swiss Water Coffee website. I was impressed with the apparent attention to detail and care about the coffee from farm to cup, and all the steps in between.
Consumption of goods involves much critical thinking and care choosing. Or, at least, I think it should. I try to consider the origin of any item, and its related packaging. I think about how the item was created or prepared, how it travelled, who was involved in each step of the journey, and how the people involved were treated. I cannot always know the details, sometimes from lack of transparency, sometimes from lack of research on my part. Nonetheless, I strive to make informed choices, and for my choices to reflect my values and honor the beings involved.
Back to coffee, I buy organic, fair-trade, shade grown coffee. The farming practices, the philosophy behind those practices and the consideration of fairness in respect to the grower are important to me. Additionally, the protection of habitats matters to me. What I see of their company aligns with my preferences.
I Amy purchase some Swiss Water process decaf coffee, and see what I think.
I also will use it to make an herbal coffee blend, featuring some medicinal mushrooms and adaptogenic plant roots.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 Making a supply of the "Maple Medicinal Mushroom Concoction" I learned how to prepare during my study in the " Herbal Immers...