Sunday, May 19, 2019

Hibiscus sabdariffa, the roselle for my garden

The packet of Hibiscus sabdariffa seeds yielded 25 plants. A few of which I sold at the garden expo or as a direct order, the remainder I have transplanted to either container or garden location.
My yarden is blessed with a variety of habitats, so choosing plants suited to a niche is an important step in planting.
I am protective of the Hibiscus sabdariffa seedlings, perhaps because this is my first season growing them and I am looking forward not only to becoming better acquainted with the plant, but also hopefully harvesting calyces for making tea.
The roselle hibiscus, as Hibiscus sabdariffa is commonly called, is a native of a tropical clime, and so will not survive the harsh midwest winter of Indiana. I am growing some seedlings as annuals in my yarden, while others I planted in containers to bring indoors for the winter. (Here is a video on container gardening where I discuss how to prepare a pot for planting my roselle hibiscus). 

Hibiscus sabdariffa, like Ashwagandha, are tropical; however, the growing conditions each prefer differ greatly. Check out the post about Ashwagandha for more information on its preferences. 

Hibiscus sabdariffa enjoys warm air and soil temperatures. The plant will tolerate 'wet feet', which means it is suited to a location where the soil holds moisture.

I planted a collection of Hibiscus sabdariffa one the south side of my yarden in a low-lieing spot where the water collects, and the soil drains more slowly than many parts of the yarden. The Hibiscus sabdariffa are in two 'rows' (loosely row-like) just at the edge of some trees. The way the sun moves through the sky in summer, the area where I planted the hibiscus are in sun most of the day.

I look forward to watching them grow, and noting how the site serves the plant.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 Making a supply of the "Maple Medicinal Mushroom Concoction" I learned how to prepare during my study in the " Herbal Immers...